
I was able to travel to St. Joseph, Missouri on Saturday for my Grandma's 90th birthday party. It was quite an experience to say the least. My expectations were pretty high considering I was the only grandchild who would be in attendance. My sisters Kelly and Kat live overseas and the only cousin on that side of the family is currently in China. So, I was the youngest person at the party by approximately 30 years.
My Dad and I arrived at St. Joseph Country Club about fifteen minutes early and we had the privilege of taking the Honoree. My Grandma is in a wheelchair full time and has 16-hour per day living assistance. She still lives at home, which is rare for someone who has had Parkinson's for 25 years, but she is able to go to church and get her hair done. My dad and I never get to help her out, so the trip to the party was a process. By the end of the night we had a routine set and I felt a sense of joy helping her in and out of the car. She is a sweet woman and has done her best to love our family. We arrived at the party minutes before my Uncle Bob and the future, second Mrs. Ford made their appearance. Bob had recently proposed to Peggy and no one in my family, including my dad, knew that he was now engaged.
As the remaining guests poured in, I counted six walkers, and fourteen glasses of Scotch. My dad's generation (he turns 60 in April), was the youngest group of people in the room. Needless to say, I was a little out of place. I went to the bartender, who was probably twenty or so, and told him that I would probably start hanging out with him. The night went smoothly, but I still was having a rough time interacting with people 3-4 times my age.
We only had one fall through the evening, which I confidently consider a complete success. Former attorney Vance Leinager was apparently trying to move a chair when he fell over backwards onto a walker which shot into the air and then fell on his shoulder. Mr. Leinager was all right, but we had to take him home earlier than planned. On the way home we heard these grunts and wheezes when we went over bumps. He was still hurting from the fall, but he ended up being all right. His wife had the best old-lady voice I have ever heard. It was very round but shaky and inconsistent. She still had great inflection, but it was harsh and wobbly.
So here's the point:
Families are pretty messed up these days. Uncles are weird and grandparents are alcoholics. For some reason, we are connected to these people by a bond that is difficult to sever. But you work through it. You deal with the stuff and move on. It was difficult to see my dad battle his emotions all weekend: the tension, awkwardness, mistrust and regret. My family has faced a ton of difficulties, but it honored me to be able to attend my Grandma's 90th. I wanted to be there hanging out with people who knew my grandma for years. It was a special, unique night that I will not soon forget.
2 comments:
Hillo,
I are Greznonk from far-of land. My peoples herd grand things of blog of jacob and I tells me, 'you need experience blog of jacob!&^' So I am and wonder wonder it make me warm. Thanks many.
I think you started a blog to prevent identity theft - which we've all had some kind of run-in with in the past couple of months. good job.
Post a Comment